- About Startup Genome and The Global Entrepreneurship Network
- Note From a Founder
- A Word from GEN
- State Of The Global Startup Economy
- Rankings 2021: Top 30 + Runners-up
- Rankings 2021: Top 100 Emerging Ecosystems
- Global Startup Sub-Sector Analysis
- The Next Unicorn Could Come From Anywhere
- How Startups Can Build Sustainable Ecosystems
- How To Divide Founder Equity
- Accelerators: To Join Or Not To Join?
- The Government As An (Effective) Venture Capitalist
- Building Entrepreneurial Communities
- Asia Insights, Rankings & Ecosystem Pages
- Understanding Diverse Markets In A Dynamic Region
- Mega Tech IPOs Head Toward $1 Trillion By 2025
- Europe Insights, Rankings & Ecosystem Pages
- Europe’s Booming Startup Ecosystems
- The Explosive Growth Of The Amsterdam-Delta Startup Ecosystem
- North America Insights, Rankings & Ecosystem Pages
- The North American Startup Ecosystem In A Post-Pandemic Era
- Latin America Insights, Rankings & Ecosystem Pages
- It’s Just The Beginning
- Scaleups Will Take Over Latam
The Global Startup Ecosystem Report 2021
Africa Insights, Rankings & Ecosystem Pages
- Average early-stage funding in African startup ecosystems in this GSER period totaled $46.5 million, double the amount observed last year.
- African ecosystems are collectively worth $6.6 billion in value. Of that, $6 billion is concentrated in the Top 5: Cape Town, Lagos, Johannesburg, Nairobi, and Accra.
- Fintech dominates early-stage investment in Africa, with over $206 million invested in the Sub-Sector between January 2018 and June 2020.
- Exit value in Africa totaled over $1.1 billion, with the top three in Cape Town, Johannesburg, and Durban.
The Top Performers are identified by applying our Global Ranking methodology within a specific region, while the Regional Challengers are identified using the Emerging Ecosystems methodology.