- Bridging the Cleantech Scaleup Gap
- Mitigation is Not Enough: We Need More Scaling of Innovation to Adapt to a Changed Environment
- Global Cleantech Trends
- Global Cleantech Ranking: Top 25 + Runners-Up
- Top Cleantech Ecosystems by Region & Ecosystems to Watch
- Top Cleantech Ecosystem Players
- Global Blue Economy Trends
- Global Blue Economy Ranking: Top 25 + Runners-Up
- Top Blue Economy Ecosystems by Region & Ecosystems to Watch
- Top Blue Economy Ecosystem Players
- The Blue Economy is Critical in Reaching Global Climate Goals
- Creating Collaboration Among Marine Ports to Foster Global Blue Economy Innovation
- Mississippi Leads Gulf of Mexico Blue Economy Innovation
This report is a combined edition examining both Cleantech and the Blue Economy, two tech startup sub-sectors that are closely interlinked but have unique characteristics. Released in the context of July–August 2023 being declared the hottest summer on record, it is now vital that the global startup community, policymakers, and other stakeholders focus on solutions to tackle the effects of climate change.
The Blue Economy is a sector that includes technologies specific to ocean innovation, including some that are not focused on climate solutions. However, oceans and seas provide us all with food, energy, and oxygen. And as the planet’s biggest carbon sink, they help to regulate temperatures. As such, the Blue Economy is closely aligned with Cleantech and a key factor in transforming the way we live and creating a more equitable, peaceful, and sustainable world
This report looks at the current state of startup activity and related investment in Cleantech and the Blue Economy, and the rankings are a reflection of which global ecosystems are currently driving innovation through startups and related activities. It aims to provide information for founders, investors, and policymakers interested in understanding the current landscape, and is intended to encourage further activity within the global startup ecosystem, with an overall goal of both mitigating climate change and improving lives around the world. For more information on the definition used and factors considered, please see the methodology section.