The Global Startup Ecosystem Report Launch - September 22 at London Tech Week
We are excited to announce the launch of The Global Startup Ecosystem Report (GSER 2021) at the Elevating Founders event of London Tech Week, September 22 at 9:30 AM BST. In partnership with Global Entrepreneurship Network (GEN), the Report will be introduced by JF Gauthier of Startup Genome and Jonathan Ortmans of GEN.
The GSER 2021 includes a ranking of the leading 140 ecosystems and breakdowns by continent with regional insights. The 2021 Report's expanded regional focus will also rank ecosystems in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, MENA, North America, and Oceania to highlight new and emerging ecosystems.
Additionally, the GSER 2021 includes startup-centric insights with founder focused articles from global thought leaders. The article topics cover a wide range—from how to divvy up equity to public entrepreneurial financing.
- Ifeyinwa Ugochukwu, CEO of the Tony Elumelu Foundation, is a lawyer and a passionate advocate of the transformative power of entrepreneurship as the key to Africa's economic development.
- Jeff Hoffman, award-winning entrepreneur, investor, philanthropist, and chairman of the Global Entrepreneurship Network, has led several successful startups, including Priceline.com/Booking.com and uBid.com.
- Florian Hagenbuch is the Founder and co-CEO of Loft, which is reinventing buying and selling real estate in Latam by leveraging technology and data to transform painful and bureaucratic processes into simple experiences.
- Brent Hoberman is Co-Founder and Executive Chairman of Founders Factory, Founders Forum, and firstminute capital, a $210M seed fund with global remit backed by over 80 unicorn founders. Previously, Brent co-founded lastminute.com in 1998, was CEO from its inception, and sold it in 2005 to Sabre for $1.1B.
- Leigh Jasper is currently the Chair of LaunchVic and SecondQuarter Ventures, Chief Executive Officer of Saniel Ventures, and a non-executive director of SEEK Ltd, Salta Properties, Buildxact and the Burnet Institute.
- Thomas Hellmann, is the DP World Professor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation at the Saïd Business School, University of Oxford. He is an internationally acclaimed entrepreneurship scholar and educator and leads the Creative Destruction Lab at Oxford.
- Sandy Yu is the Assistant Professor in the Strategic Management and Entrepreneurship department at the University of Minnesota's Carlson School of Management
- Josh Lerner is the Jacob H. Schiff Professor of Investment Banking at Harvard Business School.
Startup Genome is the world-leading policy advisory and research organization for public and private organizations committed to accelerating the success of their startup ecosystem. We have advised more than 100 clients across six continents in 45+ countries to date.
Startup Genome’s mission is to accelerate startup success and ecosystem performance everywhere, working together with global thought leaders and practitioners to define and execute robust policies and programs that drive lasting change. Our impact is rooted in over a decade of independent research with data on three million companies across 280 cities.
Working side-by-side with more than 300 partner organizations, our frameworks and methodologies have become instrumental in building foundations for startups and startup ecosystems to grow. Many of the world’s leading governments and innovation-focused organizations have joined our knowledge network to cut through the complexities of startup ecosystem development and fuel sustained economic growth. Considered the new science of startup ecosystem assessment, we point to key gaps in startup ecosystems and prioritize actions to take in addressing them.
GSER 2021 Launch Event
GSER 2021 will launch at the Elevating Founders event of London Tech Week, September 22, at 9:30 AM BST.
London Tech Week provides the tech ecosystem with a platform to come together to drive change. This year, the agenda supports economic recovery in a sustainable, inclusive, and resilient manner and addresses challenges, from bridging the digital divide to battling the Covid-19 pandemic.
This annual event gathers the year's most promising Seed and Series A startups who have the potential to reinvent their industries and society for a hotly anticipated pitch competition and product showcase. Sign up to attend the free, virtual event.
Check out previous GSER and research reports, and also make sure to be one of the first to receive the Report right at launch by signing up for our newsletter.