The Global Startup Ecosystem Report: Cleantech Edition
The Global Startup Ecosystem Report: Cleantech Edition is launching on January 24th at the Cleantech Forum 2022.
GSER: Cleantech Edition
Key Insights from #GSERCleantech
- The top five Cleantech ecosystems are Silicon Valley, Tel Aviv, Stockholm, London, and Los Angeles. This is the first time that Stockholm has entered the top five, and the first time that Tel Aviv has ranked this high since 2012.
- North America and Europe dominate the top 25 Cleantech ecosystems, with 44% and 40% respectively. Asia has two ecosystems in the top 25, and MENA and Oceania each have one.
- The second quarter of 2021 saw 77% growth in the number of Series B+ deals compared to the same quarter in 2020, an all-time high.
- While Asia saw a decline in Series A deals in recent years, it recorded a 2x increase in total late-stage investments (Series B+) in 2020, from $1.17 billion in 2019 to $2.47 billion, driven in part by several huge investments in EV companies.
- Post-money valuation of Cleantech companies increased by 23% in 2020 and 176% in 2021.
- Cleantech companies have the highest age at transaction of any sub-sector, with the average company taking 3.8 years to reach Series A and 5.5 years to reach Series B – almost eight months and 11 months longer than for tech startups across sectors.
Our past work has reached millions of people and appeared in leading business media such as The Economist, Bloomberg, and Harvard Business Review.